Proud Beer Makers
A heritage-inspired brewery in Stratford, incorporating local ingredients from the vast agricultural community that surrounds us. Our entire beer selection is based on historical Stratford and area memories. Owned and operated by Daniel J. Graver and team, we have renovated the historical Herald Building, former printing and newspaper office, into The Herald Haus Brewing Company. A BREWERY STEEPED IN HISTORY Welcome to 21 Marketplace - The Herald Building The row of buildings along Market Place was built primarily in the 1890s. This block was one of the last commercial sections developed and reflects the Victorian Gothic architecture which was in vogue at the time. Of interest is the heavy cornice, which adorns most of the buildings and is sometimes decorated by ornate brackets or projecting finials. Although some alterations have been made, much of the streetscape remains. The building at 21 Marketplace, referred to as the “Herald Building”, was built in 1890 for the Dingman brothers. Architecturally, it is a late Victorian building with elements of the Romanesque Revival style. The window lintels are of sandstone. It has a parapet gable topped with finials. There are decorative rounded arches and Tuscan columns. The symmetrical composition of the front facade gives the building an almost classical appearance. These details are indicators of the style of the building. WILLIAM SMITH DINGMAN Our Building Founder’s Story Stratford had its first weekly newspaper, Perth County News, in 1849, five years before it became a village. By 1886, there were seven weeklies and the dailies were starting to appear. Absalom Dingman, a newspaper publisher from Strathroy, came to Stratford with his family and purchased THE HERALD, a weekly with steadily increasing readership. Three of his sons joined him at the paper, including his eldest, WILLIAM SMITH DINGMAN, and hence began what is described as a newspaper dynasty, which would last 113 years. In 1890, William moved The Herald into a new building (21 Market Place), designed by the architect Joseph Kilburn, on the south side of Market Square, where it would remain until the merger with the Beacon in 1923. William was active in municipal life, serving as an alderman on the city council and finally as mayor from 1909-1910. It was during his term as mayor that he played key role in bringing water-powered hydro service to Stratford. He was an avid cycler, musician and golfer.